Thursday 24 October 2019

24th October 2019

cold, overcast
the lawn littered with yesterday's pruning
crying dog

© Rachel Green 2019

Guilt and Regret

1.
I was maybe ten
and remember it as if
from an external camera.
A summer garden
sat on the wall around the raised back lawn
striped tee-shirt, shorts,
socks surrounded by butts on Player's No. 6
my father had tossed toward the drain,
and I was fussing a dog.
Was it Shane? Or had she died by then?
My mother,
standing at the side door,
talking to Marge and Vic,
and old fellow with a humpback,
about a local lad who'd lost his mother.
And I wished it could be me,
that I had lost my mother, 
anp people thought of me with kindness.
I'm sorry, Mom,
that I wished death upon you
and never knew you as an adult.

© Rachel Green 2019

 

No comments: