Sunday 12 July 2020

12th July 2020


sunshine
as a thrush filches a raspberry
blue sky

© Rachel Green July 2020

first time away
and I'm homesick.
I love the city, the people
even the steel sky and the sleeting rain;
the Gilbert Shelton comics
passed around from room to room
and the ubiqitious brown ale
best drunk from the bottle.
He answers the phone with the voice of home;
of cigarettes and whiskey in his tea;
of dog's paws and the stink of coal
on the ever-running Aga.
"Three-six-two-four."
An incoming calls only,
red rotary phone
where his work pays the line rental,
and I cry
in the little phone-booth of the student house,
hoping he'll tell me to come home
but all he says is
"You're a grown-up now.
You have to get on wi' it."
There's Joni Mitchell on the radio
and a battered paperback on my desk
as I skip another lecture.

© Rachel Green July 2020

No comments: