Tuesday 26 August 2008

A new Field

We turned away from the cemetery today and went to the site of a disused factory. DK and I went there a few years ago when we still had Holly dog but then it was a bare patch of waste ground. Now its a rich wetland habitat, crowded with wild flowers and trees.






I still love teasels, despite the thousands that come up in our garden every year



An old rusted and crushed incinerator. I could rally do with a whole version of this for growing potatoes in.




I tried to show the wetlands. Bear padded through the 6" water easily but Trickster had problems.




I doubt that even Rowan could mend this bike. It has ten speeds, all of them 'stop'.





Who isn't cheered by a daisy?

5 comments:

aims said...

Whew! After looking at so much rusting garbage I was delighted to see the daisy at the end. Don't they have cleanup days or something like that over there? We have groups of people who go out and do that here - just picking up the garbage - especially along the major highways. It's an ugly job but at least our province looks very clean.

I just can't seem to get over the amount of garbage lying around - such a shame!

The wetlands is a wonderful idea though isn't it?

And - I'm amazed at how many abandoned factories there are Rachel. I've seen pics before and understand that steel mills closed etc. etc. - but not putting the buildings to use stuns me. We rarely have empty buildings here. They get scooped up for something or other.

aims said...

Forgot to say - that of course a building like that just makes me want to peer around inside of it. You know what I mean?

Rachel Green said...

I don't object to this garbage at all. I find rust quite beautiful. I'll take some shots of the wood tomorrow -- that really is disgusting.

it's not economiccaly viable to buy up the land the old factories are sitting on - the government gives grants for brownfield sites and when there's money to be made we'll see the whole lot bulldozed for housing.

BT said...

I don't like the mess left by people. It does depend what it is though. I hate 'paper' rubbish in towns. But a bit like Rachel, I can see beauty in a rusting object!

Great wetlands though.
x

Rachel Green said...

Paper and plastics are horrible.