Friday 29 August 2008

Treasures from the past

It's a little late in the season for the flowers, but here is the delight and profusion of plants on the old factory site. You can only see thistle and ragwort in flower but there are hundreds of varieties.



I also love this steel hawser that dips in and out of the foliage like a sea serpent. I'd bring it back for garden sculpture but there's a hundred feet or more of inch thick cable.



This is what I love about nature-reclaimed building sites. Although this used to be a factory, I could just as easily be looking at an ancient Roman fort here, with just dressed stone half-buried in grass.



I did bring a small (about fist sized) stone back. This is full of holes like those occasional beach pebbles. Here it is in my sink garden. That's a wild strawberry plant behind it.

Wild? It's livid! I just dropped a rock on its sucker!

4 comments:

aims said...

I know - I know - you couldn't help yourself!

That is quite the field Rachel. Just full of little surprises. What shall we find come the winter then?

Rachel Green said...

Snow, probably ;)

BT said...

That's a real howler, Rach. Honestly, and you a writer! Snow doubt we'll get some weather in the winter. Groan.....

Rachel Green said...

Heh! Sorry. I couldn't resist the pun!