Friday 31 October 2008

Cake Pudding

Neil's cake-in-a-mug recipe came out reminiscent of a steamed pudding.

* Put 4 tablespoons of plain flour, 4 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa in a mug and mix thoroughly.
* Add 1 egg, and mix well.
* Add 3 tablespoons of milk and 3 tablespoons of oil – mix again until well combined.
* If desired, add chocolate chips and a splash of vanilla.
* Microwave the mug for 3 minutes at 1000 watts or 4 minutes at 700 watts (the cake will rise above the top of the mug but don’t panic!)
* Allow to cool, turn out onto a plate if you like.
* Apparently margarine tastes better than oil – but you have to add this before the egg and milk instead of after.




There are still roses blooming in Chesterfield.



and Seven Trent Water have come to mend the stop tap. To do so, they've dug a 4'deep hole.




Bright and sunny cemetery


I told Kat* I'd use this name in a story - and I did, in tomorrow's Laverstone Tales




Lovely morning.
DON'T click to enlarge.




Happiness is Tumbledried towels





The Poplar trees, as usual.







*Not DK, the other Kat

10 comments:

spacedlaw said...

That recipe reminds me a little of a sponge cake recipe for microwave that my mother used to make. Nice portion, convenient for tea.

Rachel Green said...

I only managed to eat half, though.

Unknown said...

*laughs*

Yummy cake after all. I still don't understand the need for no leavening.

Rachel Green said...

I used self-raising - perhaps that's why it was so stodgy.

aims said...

Of course you knew we would click!

Does Poo Bear always hide like that?

Brought a smile to my sad and weary face this morning my friend.

Rachel Green said...

Only when he's having a poo

spacedlaw said...

By mixing well, micro bubbles are created in the dough. They expand dramatically with the microwaves and make the cake rise. And the heat generated by the waves seals them instantly by bonding flour and proteins together.
So self raising flour is not needed indeed.

Rachel Green said...

Fascinating! Thanks for the technical know-how.

spacedlaw said...

Courtesy of Hervé This, my favourite mad culinary scientist...

Unknown said...

Mystery explained. I feel so much better! Thanks, Nat. :)