Friday 16 January 2009

Long Roads and Straight

Ribblesdale is ever far,
the Yorkshire landscape flat and bleak,
though stands of trees would feign to mar
the refuge of another week.

For here it is that time is stilled
unless you watch it like a sparrow
on washing line when earth is tilled -
Dry stone walls are straight and narrow.

The Ribble splashes merrily
upon its path to western shore
but still it makes a stop for tea –
stottie cakes and jam at four.

No further need for such alarm
it’s time to rest, Grandfather clock,
to shelter from all further harm
but make a pause twixt tick and…






…tock.

8 comments:

aims said...

One of my favorite subjects - clocks.

Love this one Rachel.

I have to spend some time catching up on Jasfoup and his doings. I think I saw him getting ready for Mardi Gras though.....

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Aims :)
You didn't miss much of Jasfoup!

Lane Mathias said...

Love this.

And love your paintings.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Lane :)

Anonymous said...

the refuge of another week ..love the meandering and especially the spot of tea at 4...

BT said...

This made me lol, Rach, especially the last line. Lovely painting too.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Gina :)

Unknown said...

I'm so late I'm incredibly redundant on this one. Super pair here, loved both.