Saturday 17 January 2009

Missing Reflection


An entry on a purchase ledger said
that Lady Waterman had bought a frame
of extra-ordinary wood in red
but no-one could remember, to their shame,
just what had become of such a prize --
(for this was three score years or more ago)
seems no-one cared, though carelessness belies
fastidious accounting ruled too slow.
Her parents gave her leave to search but must
have wondered at the mirrored frame she sought
the gratitude of family was just
conveniently abstracted, she thought.
From attic to the cellar Lucy went
and came upon the carving, gnarled and bent.

10 comments:

Dave King said...

Charming pic - which came first, that or the verse. Both enjoyable.

Rachel Green said...

I generally write, then illustrate :)

Catherine Vibert said...

Both sonnet and picture are a delight. I enjoyed your piece very much at Clarity, it was among my favorites. My goodness you are prolific! Thank you for your comment on my piece, and for taking the time to make it around to most of the pieces, it was nice to have your company.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you kindly.

I confess that when they began appearing at the rate of 10-20 a day I couldn't keep up!

aims said...

Hey Rachel.

Watercolour or what?

btw - I noticed immediately the change in 'tone' of the work and see also the label below - Chapbook 2.

My other question is - how long does it take you to do the illustration?

Rachel Green said...

Watercolour, yes :)

There's no real 'theme' to this series of poems, but they get printed out and stuck in a book.

Simple illustrations like these take 1/2 an hour. The complex ones up to 3 or 4 hours.

BT said...

Simple, SIMPLE, she says!! Love the sonnet too.

Rachel Green said...

heh! It's only a line drawing and colouring-in!

Unknown said...

The answer to Jasfoup's mystery, or do I read too much into this one?

Lovely regardless. :)

Rachel Green said...

exactly so!