Wednesday 25 February 2009

Chap's Book

A modest run, it seemed to me
to suit my meager purse
twenty books of poetry
in haiku and blank verse.

The printer was as pleased as Punch
to take on my request
so eager he ignored his lunch --
assured me of the best.

“A three inch margin all around
your pretty verses here,”
he said but couldn’t hear a sound
with carrots in his ear.

“No no,” I said “Too big a gap
will leave no room for lettering –
I am not your average chap
who doesn’t know typesetting.

I sent a letter to redress
and start it all again
for the man who owns the letter press
is marginally insane.

10 comments:

aims said...

He has to be marginally insane if he's got carrotts in his ears. Most people just have potatoes.

Rachel Green said...

or naan bread, apparently.

Dave King said...

That is great.

Jinksy said...

Carrots? Not a good imPRESSion!

Rachel Green said...

*groan*

Thank you
!

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Prnters
Think they know
All about poems.


... loved your haiku :)

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Lost.
I liked you senryu, too.

BT said...

lol, what a crazy poem and illustration! 'Speak up, I can't hear you, I've got carrots in my ears'.

Rachel Green said...

That's how I feel when I'm editing!

Unknown said...

I recall days of dealing with printers as a matter of routine occurrence (not my own pubs). *shudders* You'd think they'd be better at the job!

Fantastic poem.