Sunday 1 February 2009

The Odd Revelation about Mary’s Dad

The Odd Revelation about Mary’s Dad.

“Slowly does it,” Mary said,
slipping the needle right into his head.
“We’ll go through the eye and into the brain,
He’ll not say ‘niblits and nobblers’ again.”

“Is that wise?” her friend Jenny asked.
“My brother is young but his youth will not last.
When he’s an adult he’ll say what he pleases
should he be punished for such little teases?”

“Of course,” said Mary, “for seven is old
to be saying such things and being so bold
he’ll thank us tomorrow, of that I am sure
in between mopping the dribblings and more.”

“”It just seems so harsh,” said Jen with a frown
“because sometimes he’s up and at other’s he’s down.
I’d hate to see him depressed every day
because we’ve cut off the things he might say.”

“Don’t worry,” said Mary, “a lobotomy
will do him no harm – he’ll still eat his tea
and shout at the telly and ask for more beer
he’ll be just like my dad’s been for many a year.”

30 comments:

Beth P. said...

Criminy!

I think this is exactly what happened to my brain, somewhere along the line. My siblings are at fault, quite sure of it.

Thanks for ths smiles this morning, Rachel!

Barb said...

LOL! Oh, that was delightful! I have to be sure my sister reads this one to her twins! haha!

If I promise never-ever to say "niblits and nobblers" can I keep what brain cells are left of my brain?

Quiet Paths said...

Well, this is pretty much brilliant. In a freakish kind of way...*grin*

Anonymous said...

Oh that's wicked clever!!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you kindly, folks :)

anthonynorth said...

Surreal, but so excellently expressed.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Anthony :)

Maggie said...

I smiled as I read this thinking of what lessons children can think of to teach each other...this was Quite a Quiet lesson.

Rachel Green said...

Even quieter once the dribbling starts!

aims said...

I thought of someone over and over while I read this. I won't post any names but I think the dribbling had started quite some time ago!

A little needle through the eye might be exactly what is needed!

Rachel Green said...

I won't ask no questions!

nicole said...

This one was sooo fun! Since I live far away and we're likely never to meet, do you mind if I START saying niblits and nobblers? It's more charming than lobotomy inducing in these parts:D

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

I remember when they use to try and do lobotomies on women in asylum.

This made me smile, and at the same time, I thought to myself, revenge.

Love the style of this, and the read is too wonderful.

SandyCarlson said...

I like this proactive response to the wrong set of words. I enjoyed this very much. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like the humorous take on sibling relationships. Very clever!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you all most kindly -- Moonshark, please feel free :)

Catherine Vibert said...

I love it! I'm laughing! Your stuff has such wonderful little twists of dark humor.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Cat :)

sonia said...

brilliant. funny but uncomfortable.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Sonia :)

Tumblewords: said...

Unsettling but full of humor and play...Nice work...and the sketch is superb, too!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you kindly :)

Anonymous said...

I am sure not going to ever say those words! And, I am glad I live far from my family.

Rachel Green said...

*chuckles*
Thanks fourwinds :)

BT said...

A super laugh Rach, what enormous fun. Can't resist those words now!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Cruel ending! Hmm..fun blog I say-

Rachel Green said...

Thanks! I am an irreverent poet!

Anonymous said...

a little perverse and elegantly twisted - gleeful to my soul

Rachel Green said...

*chuckles*
Thanks, enduro :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.