Sunday 3 May 2009

Never Kill a Character when it’s Still a Child

I wrote another novel when the first was coming out
about a minor demon and his friends.
He hung about with Harold: the devil’s latest bout
of sowing demon oats brought dividends.
Now Harold married Gillian a vampire by trade
although her trade was more like piracy.
No “Stand, ye, and deliver” in a sheltered woodland glade
but more ‘Your money –and- your life” you see.
In the latest novel which I have yet to complete
the vampire has a child by magic means.
And now the child’s in danger from the goblins and the feet
of a werewolf wishing wishes and the former fairy queens.
There’s no way to survive it but an early hatching plot
has Lucy take a hit from her dark sister
Now do I let her snuff it or shall I really not
and just say that the spirit blade had missed her?
Whatever I decide I need to get the chapters made
and finish the darned novel in good time.
The book is hanging over me like Damocles’ blade --
at least the novel’s easier than rhyme!

5 comments:

aims said...

Because we've grown so fond of Lucy it makes me cringe inside to think of her life ending.

(It's just a book Aims!) I know...still - I rather like the spirited child.

You make rhyming look so easy - so book writing is a snap for you then?

Rachel Green said...

No - novel writing is long and tedious - especially when edits are required.

BT said...

Ha ha Rachel, I love that. Poor Lucy, let her live.

Unknown said...

*laughs* I had this conversation with Himself just last night. ("So annoyed that Lucy may die, damn it. Still, she's a war to win, which means she can't be gone from the story, and it's the story that matters. Right? Right?" "Yes, Stephanie, that's right.")

Rachel Green said...

Ah! Sorry, Steph. This is probably the book where I've worried over the plot more than any!