Wednesday 3 June 2009

My tea has steeped too long


I poured scalding water
and took the washing upstairs
then stood for a moment
looking out of the bedroom window.
A boy runs across the grass.
Outside the opposite house a woman sits in a car
smoking a cigarettes with the driver’s side window half open.
A woman pushes a child’s chair, talking on a mobile.
Next door a crisp packet blows across a daisy-speckled lawn.

On the stairs I linger,
tracing a finger across paintings.
This canal scene brings my sister to mind.
I bought it for her but kept it, and think of her more often because of it
in the way a photograph becomes invisible.
One beach scene reminds me of Borth, another of Devon
and a series of lithographs of the time
I was a professional artist.

At the bottom of the stairs I compose a poem,
but my voice falters when I video the scene
and I forget the pretty phrases
that flowed so well in my head.

And in the kitchen
my tea has steeped too long.

9 comments:

DK said...

You know something? That was poignant and beautiful; loveliest thing I've read of yours in awhile. :-) xx

Rachel Green said...

Thank you :)

spacedlaw said...

Lovely and yes, poignant and bitter like over steeped tea.

aims said...

Do you know how powerful this poem is?

It sucked me in and I found myself with closed eyes thinking I was there - on the stairs - looking out the window - semi-dreaming state.

I threw the tea out and made another cup. Then I took my parasol and book of poetry and went into the garden and sat on a scrolly bench.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Aims. It does seem to have provoked some positive reactions.

Unknown said...

This is quite powerful, Rachel. A complex, really, a microcosm of a morning, yours, and the sort-of-intrusion of the world into it because you allowed it. Thank you. Beautifully done, and the photograph is a wonderful accompaniment.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Stephanie. I'm quite pleased with this, though the bowl of tea was too strong ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem.

(I over-steep my tea more often than I would like.)

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Dorla.

Alas, me too!