Saturday 22 August 2009

Where the Lamplight Wasn't


they took the light away
these vandals
thugs
hoodlums –
they took away the solar lights
I placed in the front garden
that looked so pretty
in the dark

for an hour I plotted
what I'd do
if I caught them –
these thieves,
these wastrels
these ne'er-do-wells –
I'd hunt them with a sword
with a baseball bat
with a pair of secateurs
to chop off their little fingers

and after a while
I shrugged
and laughed
and let it be
these kids
these drunkards
these Chesterfield Laddoes
would never know art
or poetry
or appreciate
the touch of rain of skin

and I remain
the richer

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Marvellous. You are more forgiving than I and have a beautiful hand at turning woe into art.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you.

It seems to take longer for me to forgive these days.

sonia said...

I'm sorry about your solar lights.

Rachel Green said...

No worries -- I enjoyed them for a month or so :)

BT said...

Well the dastardly devils. How thoughtless of them. But I love the poem that came from your loss.

Rachel Green said...

At least I learned from the experience :)

aims said...

More forgiving than me.

I wonder if they will get any joy from them at all - or just chuck them into the garbage and laugh.

A violation -

Rachel Green said...

probably the latter, alas