Saturday 14 November 2009

November Poems 14


The Re-emergence of the Romantic interest

You read the novel
with an ease bought of indolence
reclining with one leg drawn up,
the book held in one hand at the top
the lines like a drop-down menu
on a computer screen.

In the other hand is an apple
one bite taken
and I can see the line of your mouth,
your teeth,
etched on the russet flesh

the curve of your lip quivers,
moistened by a quick tongue
and the line of your trousers shifts
and I know you've reached the point
where the heroine remembers you

and you are lost.

4 comments:

aims said...

The whole reason behind why I read. To be lost in another world.

Rachel Green said...

and I :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic. You are doing much with reader-character connections, and I think it's brilliant.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Steph. There might be a chapbook in this series!