Sunday 22 November 2009

November Poems 22

Not Even a 'Thanks For Entering' Card.

I misread the flyer and I think I got it wrong --
the competition ends tomorrow: I am truly screwed!
my printer wouldn't take the ink that I got for a song
I printed out five hundred pages – every one was nude!
I copied files to USB and opened up the phone
book to find a printing shop that handled novel things
I dialled up several companies but nobody was home
until I found one miles away and wished that I had wings.
A fiver for the taxi fare and tenpence every page
(why did they ask for double spaced? I could have saved a mint)
the printer man was very pleased to have me pay his wage
I boxed it up and went to the post office in a sprint.
Twenty quid to guarantee delivery A.M.
I shelled out and never heard a thing from them again.

8 comments:

aims said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Drats!

oh! my word verification - prose

Rachel Green said...

It was a couple of years ago now!

Brilliant word verification!

spacedlaw said...

Now that completely sucks.
It would snerrate me so...(snerrate being my allocated word verification thingy)

Rachel Green said...

I love 'snerrate'!

It was the Daily Mail Novel Competition

Unknown said...

1. Brilliant verse.

2. I would have wept.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you.

It was stupid of me to enter, really.

BT said...

How utterly infuriating for you. Grrrrrrr.

Rachel Green said...

At least I got a poem out of it!