Monday 30 November 2009

November Poems 30

A Good Story Stays with the Reader

She closed the book and sat back,
taking a long, slow breath and letting it out
three times:
in -- out – in – out – in – out
mixed emotions twisting her face
with relief the book had ended well
and for a story well told
but also sadness for the end of a journey
and a return to normality.

She rubs her fingers,
certain the print has come off the page
and transferred to her skin
but when she looks closer
she sees distinct words:
-- the needle burrowed deep –
burrowing into her skin.

She leaps to her feet
shaking her hand
trying to dislodge the phrase
but already it is in too far
she can feel the pricking as it enters the vein
and begins the voyage to her heart.

7 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

I love your poems.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Rachel. I seldom feel that way, mind, but when I do - yes. This.

Rachel Green said...

Ah! Thank you both. I never think myself very good at poetry!

BT said...

I thought it was rather frightening!

spacedlaw said...

Wonderful. I love the idea.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you both.

There aren't many books that get underhe skin to the heart.

aims said...

Oh Rachel! This caught my mind and now it has taken flight and is soaring around thinking of how it would feel.