Saturday 16 June 2018

16th June 2018

overcast
threatening showers
elder blossom rain


© Rachel Green 2018

overcast. threatening showers
twenty four degrees
dry


mother's diaries
identical in size and shape
date from 1972
to her death in '78
the 'dairy daily diary'
each one purchased from the milkman
who delivered glass bottles daily
and came on Friday to settle up.
Nothing personal.
There are no thoughts recorded
nor memorabilia fastened in
with Sellotape long dry;
no mentions of birthdays,
special events
what made her happy
or sad.
Just the weather
and if there was frost
or a hailstorm in July.

Will my children think the same
if my writings survive me?
daily haiku,
daily poems.
My youngest doesn't remember their own childhood,
just misremembered anecdotes
like me feeding them lettuce
and them giving it to he dog.


 © Rachel Green 2018

No comments: