Tuesday 7 July 2020

morning sunshine
obscured by clouds
fat pigeons

© Rachel Green July 2020

Night Thoughts

I remember his name
only because of the word 'genital'
and then his forename forms
like a folder in my memory
and an image of his face
outside a car-park attendant's hut
(remember those?)
And then his wife
a good friend but nothing more
who left him for some bloke in the pub
who promised her Australia.
I don't know what she told him
but he always blamed me.
Perhaps he should have known
because she left a mutual friend for him;
a Willenhall boyo
with a penchant for martial arts
and Samurai swords
(before they were illegal)
and like bubbles from a mud pool
other names emerge
and faces, too.
Barry and Michelle
(did they ever stay together?)
and Kevin and Karen the social worker
("I'll take their babbies away")
and the Thursday night gaming sessions
before I became a woman
and therefore a threat.

© Rachel Green July 2020

No comments: