Wednesday 12 May 2021

12th May 2021

 



Amazing storm

leaves the sky duck-egg blue

battered garlic


© Rachel Green May 2021


TTG 733N


over-excited at a car auction in 1986

I buy a '74 Allegro for a hundred pounds.

Alan fixes the lights for me, changes a few fuses

and sends my on my way.

My dad is not amused I bought a clunker

but it runs for a couple of years;

gets me to college and back twice a week

even though I open it with a house key

and start it with a screwdriver.

In '88 a truck backs into me, crushes the front;

destroys the radiator (which I replace)

and then I'm stopped by the police weekly

because they can't believe that a car with a chain and padlock through the bonnet

can possibly be street-legal, but it is.

I drive it for six more more months

until the insurance pays out

but only because I had two witnesses in the car with me

on the day of the accident.


© Rachel Green May 2021




No comments: