Monday, 3 August 2026

3rd August 2026

 



Cookie poops

twenty yards after the last bin.

He won't go back.


© Rachel Green August 2026


There is some dog food

just outside the kitchen door

it's under green tarp 

if the dogs are needing more


The magpies can't get in

its just a case of tins

Cookie doesn't like them

but in speechcraft they win


I try to feed them with

the food that's mostly meat

I can't afford the raw meat

that the dogs should really eat


Widget may turn her nose

up at the mushy stuff she gets

but add a little water

if the biscuits are not wet


It's only ten more days

and they'll see me again

they have no concept

of just waiting until then.


Maybe I will die out there

not destined to return

but if I don't come back

my paintings you must burn


This poem's darker now

I need it to be fun

so roast my memory

on bonfires in the sun.


© Rachel Green August 2026


No comments: