Monday 11 August 2008

Funeral Meme


The Funeral Meme from Zinnia Cyclamen.

1. What kind of funeral will you have?

A Humanist Memorial service led by Zinnia herself - I've already stipulated my body to go to medical students to play with (or a body farm).

2. What music would you like at your funeral?

This is subject to change as i get older, but for now I'd like 'Theme to the Godfather' as people come in; Hanne Hukkelberg's "Break My Body" to start (That was the song that inspired the plot of 'Another Bloody Love Story'), Albinoni's 'Adagio in G Minor' as a contemplative (11 minute) interlude and ending with Alanis Morissette's "One"

3. If you could have anyone to speak your eulogy, who would you choose?

No-one who cares for me - I wouldn't put them through that. Someone who liked my writing, perhaps; someone who will miss Jasfoup. I'd like Iain Banks, but no-one would understand him. Mil Millington might make people laugh.

4. If you could have anyone to play live music at your funeral, who would it be and what would they play or sing?

Birmingham Symphony Orchestra playing the Albinoni interlude.

5. Will there be a ‘do’ after your funeral and, if so, where and what kind?

Dk would probably have everyone round to the house. Perhaps Luisa would make a fire in the circle for me.

6. What’s the most unusual funeral wish you’ve ever heard, and did it come true?

DK's father wanting a Viking funeral on the River Thames. I very much doubt it will happen.

18 comments:

DK said...

I'd have to do the eulogy - nobody else could do you justice. Nobody knows you and loves you as I do.

So long as I get your ashes, science can have you first.

Happy birthday, my utterly magnificent, beautiful desolate one.

DK xxx

Rachel Green said...

thank you kindly.

I like 'desolate one'

spacedlaw said...

Why not? I am sure it could be organised (if not in the middle of London, of course)...

Happy (?) birthday.

aims said...

Oh! DK! Your words - how lovely and touching they are. I like desolate one as well. Is she?

I hope I am invited to the event - I hope I am still around for the event - still....honouring you Rachel would be a honour.

For mine - just burn and pitch and everyone have a drink. 1 toast - 'a helluva a broad'.....that will do just fine for me thank you.

Rachel Green said...

Nathalie - thanks for the birthday wishes

Aims - Super

DK said...

~warm smile~ thank you aims, and yes indeed she is a 'desolate one'.

Naturally I adore her from my very soul... but she is indeed a classic and traditional genius writer; misanthropic, poetic angst, rare but intense rage, tense anxiety and definitely comfortable desolation.

We who love her live for the occasional, beautiful, fragmented glimpses of happiness, magnificent tears of joy, magical warmth and generosity, simple contentment and tentative pride.

We seek out and try to capture the tiny smatterings of her sparkling eyes and lilting smile, like breadcrumbs to the starving...

~chuckles at self~

Isn't she wonderful?

Aren't we all barking mad?

DK x (I may add your journal; would you mind awfully?)

aims said...

Oh Oh Oh!

To be loved so much - - oh sigh!

DK - it is so obvious and how I would love to shout to the world - THIS IS WHAT LOVE SHOULD BE!!

Your words take my breath away!

Barking mad? Wonderfully barking mad! I love it!!

And if you're asking me? No I wouldn't mind at all....honoured in fact.

Rachel - I can see why you love these women. They are treasures - like you!

Rachel Green said...

Treasures indeed :)

I should lock them away, safe in a vault ;)

BT said...

Wow, what wonderful 'comments'. Not often one can say that about a blog. Yes, 'desolate one' definitely suits.

'We who love her live for the occasional, beautiful, fragmented glimpses of happiness, magnificent tears of joy, magical warmth and generosity, simple contentment and tentative pride.

We seek out and try to capture the tiny smatterings of her sparkling eyes and lilting smile, like breadcrumbs to the starving...' That's very beautiful oh daughter of mine! But so true.

Cheers to you Rachel

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Gina. K does have a way with words ;)

DK said...

aw.. thanks mum! :-) xxx

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Wow, you've got a whole other blog, and I never even knew. I love the idea of conducting, haha, a service involving a symphony orchestra. But, Rachel, by the time you die I will be MUCH too old to do anyone's funeral/memorial. And now I see what you mean about an 'appropriate day' - happy belated birthday!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Zinnia! What a fun meme that was to do, too.

Olga/Maddie said...

This has to be a part of the eulogy for your funeral, Rachel.:



Naturally I adore her from my very soul... but she is indeed a classic and traditional genius writer; misanthropic, poetic angst, rare but intense rage, tense anxiety and definitely comfortable desolation.

We who love her live for the occasional, beautiful, fragmented glimpses of happiness, magnificent tears of joy, magical warmth and generosity, simple contentment and tentative pride.

We seek out and try to capture the tiny smatterings of her sparkling eyes and lilting smile, like breadcrumbs to the starving...


Beautiful, heartfelt, and true words, Daddy K. *big smile*

Hope that you and yours are doing all right, that things are going okay, and that today goes all right for you all.

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

Dispiritedness said...

A very Beatiful Picture

Rachel Green said...

Thank you. Not mine, alas, but google searched.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

My father always said he wanted a viking funeral. He's still very much alive, thankfully, but I doubt he'll end up getting his wish.

Rachel Green said...

Better to have them alive, I think ;)