Saturday 16 August 2008

No photos today

A bit of a cheat today. I took no interesting photos on my walk so here's the last few from our trip to Newcastle last week.

Here's a haiga.

Originally it was a haiku on a napkin outside Starbucks but having photographed it it has become a haiga.

Interesting, no?



Tea in coffee shops
How refreshingly English
With Geordie accents.

On Tynemouth long sands there is an abandoned outdoor swimming pool now full of rocks and sand and rubbish.

I remember this being in operation in the sixties but I've no idea why it fell into disrepair,


Another shot of the abandoned swimming pool.

This of the lichen on the edge,




A shot of the Tyne bridge as we leave, taken from the car (I wasn't driving).

What majesty of steel.

11 comments:

Caroline said...

I used to have canoe lessons in that pool! I have loved your photos very much x

Rachel Green said...

Really? How utterly super!
What a small world it appears to be
!

aims said...

Wow! What a shame that they would let a pool like that go that way. Being addicted to water it makes me incredibly sad.

Is that your writing Rachel? You have beautiful penmanship...all scrolly. I've sent the link off to Stinking Billy as he's so 'Geordie'....

Stinking Billy said...

That pool on Tynemouth beach. It was not used very much (that I saw) when it was in good condition. Bloody freezing North Sea water, of course, but it was always colder than the sea itself.

Did anybody in a coffee-shop address you as 'Hinney' by any chance? ;-)

Rachel Green said...

Hi Billy, welcome to my 'other, other' blog ;)

No-one called me hinny, no, though I've been called it in the past. They were probably confused by my very butch partner. I grew up in Newcastle, at least for a few years.

Aims: Yes, that is my writing, though it degenerates to a scrawl if I'm writing prose.

BT said...

Love the bridge photo. Glad you weren't driving! There's an abandoned outdoor pool like that in Scarborough, Rach. That was very cold too, so I'm told.

Rachel Green said...

I don't think I ever used the Tynemouth one as a child. I wish I had, now.

Jen said...

How marvelous to see your writing actually in your very own handwriting. You really are just like a very real person...

Rachel Green said...

Almost ;)

I not really real -- I'm just a cover for the demon Jasfoup. I'm just a sock puppet, and other novel Racers meeting me is merely a rumour ;)

aims said...

Ok - what's a Hinney?

Rachel Green said...

HINNY. Local pronunciation of "honey". A favourite term of endearment applied usually to women and children. Often used together with the similar word canny.

Where hest te been, ma canny hinney?

An' where hest te been, ma bonny bairn?

Aw was up and doon seekin' for ma hinney;

Aw was thro' the toon seekin' for ma bairn.

(from The Collier's Pay Week.)