Tuesday 7 October 2008

Wet Feet again and an answer

It was very wet today. I elected to wear my bestest boot in an effort to keep dry. Alas, they let in water too. And leaves.
See also my scraggy leather coat and dog leads.


This is a shot I take often - a poplar against the sky. Not even a hint of blue today.





The cemetery was devoid of visitors

and the paths a little muddy










This cremation plot was waterlogged but I looked a little closer...

...a case of using the Time Turner again?







Remember this from last Friday?

This was plain odd (and curse the car that got in the way).
It appears to be a (grain? Missile?) silo at the bottom of Eyre Street in Clay Cross. On the side is stencilled:
TWO WRONGS
MAKE A
RIOT

I e-mailed the local council to find out more.


Dawn Kershaw,Clerk, Clay Cross Parish Council, replied:

The 'silo' you refer to is in fact the North Midland Railway tunnel ventilator number 5. This ventilator is the deepest of the tunnel's 9 shafts. At this point the railway is 44 meters below your feet and 110 meters above sea level, being at the summit of the line between Derby and Leeds. With regard to the lettering on the side, it's not an official statement, it is graffiti.

4 comments:

aims said...

Well I like a missile silo better - it's more dramatic! And stencilled graffiti? Wow! Vandalism is for the elite now is it?

Your poor shoes look thoroughly drowned! (throwing you a flotation device)

Rachel Green said...

heh!
I'm looking on ebay for some waterproof boots!

BT said...

Rachel, we had those in Matlock Bath, so I knew what it was! No posh graffiti on the side though. How good of the council to reply.

Rachel Green said...

I don't recall ever seeing one there, Gina. How interesting!