Saturday 4 July 2009

Ben Stevens’ 'A Gaijin's Guide to Japan'

When Scott Pack of the Friday Project offered me the chance to review Ben Stevens’ A Gaijin's Guide to Japan, I jumped at it. As a student of Japanese weapons and by inference, its culture, I was fascinated to read it. Add to that my 12 year-old daughter’s fascination for all things Japan and it became a must have.

A Gaijin’s Guide… eschews the traditional format of place name entries and instead provides a whistle-stop tour of popular culture. Some of the entries are hilarious, for example the entry on Bushusuru:

On January 8th, 1992, at a state dinner given in his honour during a visit to Japan, President George Bush Snr. Repaid the hospitality of his hosts by throwing up in the lap of Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa. The unfortunate incident was quickly blamed on a feeling of ‘nausea’ that had plagued Bush all day, but soon the verb Bushuru – literally ‘doing a Bush’ – had been invented to describe those who vomited without warning.

I loved this book. As a guide to Japanes popular culture it is invaluable – I would never have known to beware of ‘jozu’ (‘skillful!’) as an insult! It is not a book to find the best (or cheapest) places to stay (avoid those coffin hotels, chaps!) nor a guide to where to eat (try The Rough Guide to Japan) but for casual travellers and armchair Japanophiles, it is worth every penny.

And with my penchant for twenties slang, I’ll try to avoid saying ‘chin-chin, old chap.’

Ben also has another Orient-based book available: From Lee to Li
is an A-Z of martial arts heroes, both in Japan and the rest of the world. Utterly absorbing for both martial arts participators and film buffs alike.















Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

12 comments:

stu said...

Presumably not just Japanese martial arts experts, given that American-Chinese martial arts expert Bruce Lee is on the front.

Rachel Green said...

Good point. I'll edit.

BT said...

Good review Rachel, interesting. I'd like the first book, but probably not the 2nd. Excellent Bush story.

Rachel Green said...

Probably true, Gina!

aims said...

I've seen the second book on the market.

Like you I would be interested in anything on Japan if I was hoping to visit (someday - I swear).

Hopefully - if that day ever comes - I won't be doing a bushuru.

Rachel Green said...

Nor I!
I doubt I could ever visit - too crowded!

spacedlaw said...

Sounds like a fun book to have indeed.

Rachel Green said...

I enjoyed them :)

thermalsatsuma said...

Sounds like a must read for me as well!

Rachel Green said...

It was a fun read!

Unknown said...

Ah, if I ever get beyond the rudiments, I think I would enjoy this. Excellent review, Rachel. Will add to the wish list. :)

Rachel Green said...

It was fun :)