Thursday 28 May 2020

28th May 2020

sunshiny morning
kicking off on the empty feeder
frustrated sparrow
© Rachel Green May 2020

Nana insists on deckchairs
so Da forks out three sixpences
for the lad with the enormous stack.
Three piece complicated folds
and a swath of striped cotton
this is before the hot, plastic substitutes
and Mum settles in the left-hand one
with Nana in the middle with her Woodbines
and a bottle of Mann's Stout
and Da on the right
with his flat cap and pipe.
I'm given a towel
and a bucket and spade
though this is Whitely Bay
and there's nothing but pebbles.
Within an hour I'm bored shitless
and turning red from the sun
though I've never seen a lobster.
Da won't give me a shilling
to rent the crabbing gear
and I'd rather walk the cliffs alone
but I'm only five
and I can't go out of sight
of Nana's eagle eyes.

© Rachel Green May 2020

No comments: